Google+ House Revivals: Book Page Ornament With Dollar Store Supplies!

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Book Page Ornament With Dollar Store Supplies!

This is my new favorite ornament! It's so pretty, you would never guess how quick and easy it is to make -- and it can be made with supplies from the dollar store!


I love dollar store projects for two reasons. One, I live in a very urban environment, and big craft stores tend to live in the suburbs, so for me it's often much easier to hit up a dollar store, or a dollar section of a market. Two, I love that dollar stores make crafting affordable.


To make your own vintage book page ornaments you will need a package of plastic balls.


I picked these up at Easter -- they are actually baseball shaped plastic eggs that you can put candy inside of.  I have also used ping pong balls and wiffle balls and styrofoam type craft balls.


While you're at the dollar store, grab a roll of masking tape. You will need to wrap the plastic ball with the tape to create a good gluing surface.


Next, you will need to rescue an old book. Cut some book pages into narrow strips, and glue or Mod Podge the strips to the ball. Did you know Dollar Tree has been carrying Mod Podge lately?


After the ball is completely covered, add a little glitter, if desired. Those of you who have followed my blog for a while probably know that my husband outlawed the application of glitter in our house. That was a sad sad day, but I have since discovered that glitter glue is pretty awesome! I know, glitter glue is probably a "gray" area, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.


Add some leaves and ribbons and pipe cleaners -- you can get all these things from a dollar store, or you can raid your stash. Glue on a ribbon hanger, and bam! You have a pretty ornament for your tree!


This Christmas, for me, is all about making things that are easy and pretty. These little ornaments are so quick to make, you can easily make a few dozen in one evening! Wouldn't they make great teacher gifts, or tie-ons for gifts?

Do you have a favorite DIY ornament project? Let me know in the comments! If you enjoyed this tutorial, be sure to subscribe to House Revivals, so you won't miss a thing. Also, please feel free to use the social media buttons at the bottom of this post to share with your friends!

For more vintage book page projects, check out my sidebar for links to popular posts.